I tried out a Zumba class last night at the gym. Upon reflection, I think I had visions of grandeur. At least that is the only explanation I have for having hope that this could be my exercise routine. Probably more than 50% of the class was some sort of Latino and had the hip movement to prove it. Occasionally I would catch a glimpse of myself in the floor to ceiling mirrors and one of the many images that came to mind was a toddler trying to copy what there parent is doing. It is a very crude imitation of what the parent is doing. Probably only the parent would recognize what the toddler was doing. And if the parent saw the action again out of context, they would probably have no idea what the toddler was doing. That was me. My movement (calling it dancing would be laughable) was a very crude imitation of zumba.
The instructor was moving so fast and so many different body parts all at once, it took every ounce of concentration I had to move any body part of mine in the same general direction of the instructor. I didn't even hear the music due to my high levels of concentration. When I did hear the music I was nowhere close to being in sync with it. I walked away from the experience with renewed determination to try yoga.
Thursday, February 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Welcome to the darkside! I started yoga because people didn't watch me and because I didn't have to have rhythm.
ReplyDelete