Sunday, November 3, 2013
Halloween
I took the kids trick or treating for Halloween around our neighborhood. Emma was Cinderella and John was a skeleton. Our neighborhood has improved a ton in 5 years. The first year we got about 5 trick or treaters and I ate a ton of candy on my own. This year there was a decent turn out. Emma required some prodding and prompting to say "trick or treat" but she eventually did it. John figured out what was going on and said trick or treat and would reach out for candy to put in his pumpkin. In fact if the homeowner didn't move the bowl fast enough, he would keep filling his pumpkin with candy.
There is one house in our neighborhood where no matter the weather, the man doesn't wear a shirt. In five years, I have seen him in a shirt two times. One, was a pink polo of all things and the other, he had just gotten out of his car from work, so that one almost doesn't count. We got to the driveway of this house and Emma asked that we not go to this house. I asked why and finally got out of her, "What if he doesn't have a shirt on?" She was very concerned. I told her it would be ok, mostly because I figured, surely, for Halloween he would wear a shirt. She summoned the courage and we walked up to the house and rang the doorbell. Much to Emma's relief, his wife, fully clothed, answered the door. Crisis averted. By far that was our scariest Halloween moment of the evening.
After that we turned down a cul-de-sac and met a little girl who apparently lives a few houses down from us. Emma and this little girl became friends. At one door they got talking with each other and forgot to ring the doorbell.
When we got close to home John held up a lolly pop that he found in his pumpkin and said, "Pop!" He did this over and over until I figured out that his statement was more of a request to eat it than a declaration of discover. How could I be so slow?? I took it from him and sure enough he had tried to chew off the wrapper to get to the candy. When we got home John continued to eat his blow pop and Emma was introduced to the exciting world of fun dip. She loved it... oddly enough. So every night she has had some candy. Twizzlers are gross and laffy taffy is good. This is an exciting introduction into all sorts of candy that Emma has never had before.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment