Friday, January 8, 2016

Reading

I picked John up from preschool on Tuesday and his teacher said, "So John is learning to read, but you already knew that." I looked at her bewildered and said, "no, I didn't know that." Apparently she was reading Cat in the Hat to the kids and John saw the word p-l-o-p. He sounded it out and arrived at pop. So pretty close, anyway. That morning I had been working with him on a toy that is supposed to help kids with learning to read easy words like cat and hen. Aaron has worked with him in the past to sound out a few words but nothing terribly consistent and after a very short while, John looses interest and doesn't want to do it any more.

Today John told Aaron that he wanted to read the Book of Mormon and that Aaron would help him. I don't know that I would consider that Book of Mormon to be an easy reader type book. Aaron got out the first Bob Book. So today John read the first Bob book. He has a way to go for it to all click together but he was pretty excited at his accomplishment. He also loved that we offer gum as a reward for reading. It is what we would do for Emma when she was learning to read. She would do anything for gum. We'll see if it will work for John. He also got to help Aaron with tools in the garage as a reward. Both were intensely exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment