Thursday, August 7, 2014

Soccer

We signed Emma up for a soccer camp. It seemed like a good idea up until the time I pressed the button to pay for the week long camp. Immediately, I knew it was a mistake. For one, Emma had never been exposed to a team sport. Two, Emma doesn't do so well being attacked with anything - swords, etc. - let alone having lots of little legs kicking you in the shins. Three, we had to buy her shorts. She doesn't like shorts and she also didn't really have shirts that you would play soccer in.

After about day 1 she knew she didn't like it. She refused to wear a jersey while scrimmaging. She would do pirouettes on the field while the game was going on. Her coaches would sit everyone down and talk to the team and Emma would be kicking the ball all around the field with no concern as to where she was supposed to be at the moment. After day two she came home and said, "We played that jersey game again and I don't like it!" The "jersey game" is soccer!

Today was the last day. She told me this:

"We chose a country and I was Mexico and they didn't ask me to wear a jersey! We had to score goals and we get one point for a goal. Then we celebrate. Celebrate means to hug each other and then run off and play." 

It seemed so scientific and calculated when she said it. First score - check. Then hug - check. Then run - check. Then play - got it!

She asked to play basketball. I told her she couldn't do basketball until she was willing to wear a jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment