Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Day Aunt Mary and Uncle Brian Came to Town...

I have decided that when Aunt Mary and Uncle Brian come to town it is kind of like a hurricane. Don't get me wrong - a good hurricane but about that level of excitement and activity.

They came in late the night before the 4th of July. The next morning I took the kids to the parade while Mary and Brian recovered from their late night. Aaron took the Mac into the Apple Store for repairs. The kids loved the parade. The life flight helicopter did fly-bys and the kids loved it. It was fun to hear the marching bands and the old cars.


 Emma loves Aunt Mary's iPad. She begs Mary for her iPad whenever Mary is around.
 This is Mary sleeping and Emma sitting on Mary playing with her phone. Mary can sleep through anything and Emma holds so still while playing with an electronic device.
Sadly, those are all of my photos of their trip.

We, and by "we" I mean Brian and Aaron, played tennis in the middle of the day in July.... they took the kids with them and the kids loved it. John was excited that we were now the proud owners of "tennis whackiters" (aka tennis racquets). They all came home so sweaty gross.

Mary, Brian, Emma and I went to tour model homes in the newer section of The Woodlands. There were some beautiful homes with some beautiful decorations. Emma at one point turned to me and asked if we had a beautiful home. Hard to answer that one.... I am not a decorator. Choosing a paint color for our guest bathroom about drove me to insanity. Fortunately I survived the experience and live to talk about it.

We got a sitter for the kids and went out to eat. We tried a Mexican restaurant that a couple of friends had recommended. When I asked the waiter what was good on the menu he essentially didn't want to give me any sort of answer. It was weird but should have been our first clue. When the waiter came back to take our orders I asked him his opinion on two dishes. He responded with "that one is a small plate and that one is a big plate." Again, not what I was looking for. We were laughing at that experience until we ate our food. Three out of four of us thought the food was gross - Aaron included - and it was then that we figured out that the waiter didn't like the food anymore than we did.

Brian tried to feed John his oatmeal in the morning. Actually it was more just trying to tease John with his oatmeal by calling it goulash and offering it to John. John would run away, but loved it.

On Sunday after dinner, Mary came downstairs with 10 boxes of Oreo cookies for a taste test. As soon as John saw the boxes he laughed and got so excited. Emma and John got to try different flavors such as mint, berry (gross), lemon, birthday cake, reeses peanut butter cup, double stuffed blond, blond and chocolate, and I can't remember the rest. Emma liked the mint. John learned to pull the oreo apart and just eat the creme filling. Both kids were ecstatic about the experience but John especially loved it. This weekend Mary introduced the kids to swedish fishes, and gummy worms. So after this cookie experience, John kept saying, "I love fishes and worms and cookies" over and over. Later the kids were horsing around with Brian and Mary while we were facetiming my parents. The kids were truly on a sugar high after that many cookies. In a burst of emotion, John yelled out, "I love you so much Uncle Brian and cookies!" We have giggled about that for a while.

Mary was kind enough to update my wardrobe and help me learn to do my hair. I haven't received so many compliments on my hair and clothes for a while. Actually the last time such compliments came was shortly after Mary unloaded clothes on me. I love Mary's drier because I get her clothes when they shrink in it. It helps to be 6 inches shorter.

The kids were so sad to see Mary and Brian go. I quickly unloaded the box of cookies onto unsuspecting friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment