Thursday, December 26, 2013

Merry Christmas!

We had a wonderful Christmas and Christmas Eve. On Christmas Eve I let the kids help me make cinnamon rolls. Emma didn't know what they were. John just wanted to eat the dough because he thought it was bread. The kids love to help dump ingredients into the bowl. They had a great time helping and also destroying what ever was on the counter.

There were a few funny stories from that day. Emma turned to me one day and said, "One of us is bug stuff." I was curious so I asked "which one of us?" She responded, "Probably you since you are taller. I am short stuff." Totally matter-a-factly and then moved on to something else. I am pretty sure that she had no idea what "big stuff" meant.

The other funny thing was that John has been interested toilet paper as most almost 2 year olds are. I caught him in the bathroom pulling the toilet paper off the roll. I grabbed his hands to stop him and his hands were wet! So I looked into the toilet and sure enough there was toilet paper in there. He had been putting toilet paper in the toilet. So we washed hands.

We decided to let Emma watch Cinderella for Christmas Eve. She was beyond excited. All morning she kept asking if it was nap time yet. I cooked while she watched it so I was only half way paying attention. Probably I should have paid closer attention. Turns out that I had forgotten a lot of what is in Cinderella. When it was over I turned it off and instead of seeing a delighted, happy face, I saw a traumatized face. Turns out that the cat at the end tried to eat the mice and that was scary. She didn't like it. I think it will be a while before she asks to see it again.

We missed the ward party where Santa made an appearance. Emma was bummed about that. I didn't realize how sad she was to miss Santa. Santa is a guy from our ward who has an awesome suit and grows his beard out for Christmas. The guy is pretty real looking. I asked his wife one Sunday how the party went. She said they had a great time. I mentioned that Emma was sad to miss Santa. She offered to have Santa stop by on Christmas Eve. So Santa came walking up to our door ringing sleigh bells. Emma was mesmerized. Santa came in and chatted with us about the meaning of Christmas and how some of the symbols of Santa tie back to Christ. He gave the kids a candy cane and some Christmas bead necklaces. We said goodbye and Santa said he would come back later with presents. Emma could hardly speak during the entire visit. I asked Emma what her favorite thing of the day was and she said visiting with Santa. I was surprised that she said that over watching Cinderella. I guess since Cinderella was scary, that shouldn't be too surprising.

The only thing that Emma wanted for Christmas was a gymnastics bar. That is all that she has talked about for months. We looked at some online and they are insanely expensive so Aaron set out to design and make one. Turns out that is a hard thing to do when you don't have any wood working tools. Aaron slaved away in the garage working on the bar. Emma had seen him working on this for the past couple weeks. We were still able to pass it off as "from Santa." Aaron worked all day Christmas Eve and into the night and then into the morning. He got to bed at 3:30am. The bar is supposed to go in our game room upstairs and go from the floor to the ceiling. It was 1/8" too tall so it wouldn't fit in the game room. So he had to put it in our foyer. The gymnastics mat we ordered to go with it was lost in Indianapolis somewhere so we didn't have a mat to go with the bar. So the present wasn't quite as we were hoping for on Christmas morning but Emma still had fun swinging on it. Aaron was exhausted Christmas morning. He had a few cat naps while watching the kids play with their presents. After opening presents and playing with them for a little bit, Aaron asked Emma what was her favorite present. Emma said, "The baby toys [accessories for her baby doll]." Aaron just started laughing. After all that pain to get the bar ready for Christmas.... Emma was happy with a diaper bag and changing pad for her baby. We laughed for quite a bit that morning.


As for Christmas morning, I went upstairs when I woke up to make sure the kids didn't see the presents before we were ready with the camera. They were excited beyond belief to see the dune buggy that Aunt Mary and Uncle Brian got them. It didn't matter that the battery wasn't in the car. They just played in there for a long time. Then they moved to the train sets that Aunt Emily gave them. There was a wooden one and a lego one. They played and played. Finally it dawned on them that there were other presents. So they would open a gift and play with it and when they would loose attention they would open another. We didn't do a huge Christmas because Aunt Mary and Aunt Emily gave them big gifts but it still took them about 2.5 hours to open presents. They were in heaven with all of the toys. They would each take the toy that they were playing with and bring it into the dune buggy and play with it there. Aaron and I just sat there and watched them play. It was quite fun.







John got a fire truck. He kept saying "people trouble!" over and over again when he would play with his truck. I am always amazed at what he understands.


After naps we took the dune buggy for a spin. I had a taste as to what it would be like to teach a teenage to drive. Driving isn't intuitive to Emma. She would run into stuff if we didn't stop her. She can put her foot on the pedal but apparently it isn't intuitive to take your foot off the pedal to stop. We will have to do driving lessons for a while. Poor John's feet can't reach the pedals so he will have to be a passenger for a while. Emma is more than ok to do driving Mr. John.

Oh, for Christmas breakfast we had cinnamon rolls. Emma ate her like a normal person. She really enjoyed the rolls. John, unrolled the roll, and bit off the frosting off the top of the bread. Once the frosting was all gone, he proceeded to eat the cinnamon bread.




No comments:

Post a Comment