Sunday, December 2, 2012

Thanksgiving

We celebrated Thanksgiving with some friends and Aaron's brother Rex. It was a traditional Thanksgiving feast. I have thought about what traditions I would like to do in our family. One of them is that I want everybody to choose one menu item for the dinner. I want everybody to have something they love at the dinner. Aaron had given his input. Emma didn't really know what was going on so she didn't get input. She knew we were going to eat turkey but I don't think she really knew what that meant. She has eaten a lot of my rolls since Thursday so that can make it on the list next year.

On Friday we went to the Sam Houston museum. We were going to do our traditional hike in the Huntsville state park, but it started to rain so we changed plans and went to see the museum and statue. This statue is huge - 77 feet tall. Taller than the statue of liberty. Who is Sam Houston? He kinda founded Texas. You drive down the freeway and then all of a sudden there is ridiculous statue of Sam Houston. We have always wanted to go see it but we are always driving somewhere else. So, this statue was on my bucket list because it is so ridiculous.




After that we went to an area where there were a bunch of museums (more like historic houses) but they were closed. There was also a pond in the shape of Texas and a whole bunch of ducks, geese, and roosters. We had a picnic lunch and watched the birds fight. It was very pleasant.

On Saturday we went to a baptism. Emma loves to see baptisms. She always talks about how she wants to be baptized. I think she thinks it will be like swimming. Then we went to see the Nutcracker that was put on by a local dance company. I thought it was very well done considering it was a small local company and I have no experience with ballet. Emma loved it. She sat there glued to her seat until the very end and then she got a little wiggly. Then the most amazing thing happened. She whispered, "Mom, I am tired." Who knew she could utter those words. That is up there with "Mom, I am hungry." So I offered to let her sit on my lap and snuggle me. I was just that nice of a mom to take one for the team. It was just only too bad that there was only 15 minutes left in the ballet - it was the best snuggle time ever. So what did we do with John? We actually took him with us. Fortunately we went during nap time so he was so tired he didn't have the energy to wiggle too much and he had his pacifier so he didn't make much noise. I did have to take him out once. But all things considered, the kids did great.

No comments:

Post a Comment